Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday Weigh In.....Week One.

It's a long story.  My last post {friday} was day...two i believe.  All was going well, eating 1200 calories a day, lots of water and the dreaded Jillian Michaels DVD.  

And then I hit a wall.

Ok, so I get that when you're four days into something, its hard to tell where its going. 
 BUT SERIOUSLY.

I have decided that 1200 calories is just not enough for my body to function.

This weekend, I ate healthy, but I also actually ATE.  which felt good.

My Brother-In-Law-To-Be, Jon  {ok, that was way too long to type, he will forever be known as " Jon"}  pointed out that if i don't eat enough, my body will go into starvation mode, and thus hold on to ALL my fat.

I don't want that!!!!

Last night, I was SO hungry! So, I went home and ate a tuna sandwich on whole wheat....about 400 calories when all was said and done, but I was still hungry.

Not just hungry.

STARVING!

So then I started counting......  even with that sandwich, I hadn't broken 700 calories yet!

Not good.

I can't even tell you how awful I felt.  

it was gross.

So, I decided I needed real food.  I settled for a Cafe Rio salad - {Now before you judge me, it has VEGGIES, and PROTEIN, and COMPLEX PROTEIN ....and some carbs. } but I didn't care.  I didn't eat the whole thing, and I finally felt satisfied.

Whew.

It has become obvious to me that starving myself is not the smart or healthy way to lose weight.
Because even if I lose weight, I will gain it all back, and still be unhealthy.  How dumb.

I had an epiphany- The best way to lose weight is to burn calories, and thus burn fat.  So, I need to exercise, ok.  But also, I need to eat something so I actually have calories to BURN.  Huh! Who knew?

Ok, so I really feel stupid at this point.

So the new plan:  1. Embrace a healthy lifestyle.   It isn't about losing weight fast, its about maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle.  Starving yourself only lasts so long.  You either give up or die.....
2. Cardio Cardio Cardio!  The best way to burn the most calories and fat.
3.  Be mindful of what I put in my body.   Choose healthy meals and snacks- but they all must contain protein.  Its ok to eat things with fat and calories-after all, our bodies need {some} fat to function.
4. Lots of water.
5. Cardio Cardio Cardio!  did i mention Cardio?

So, in short, I am going to start losing weight the old-fashioned way.  Yes, that's right.

All these gimicks that we pray will be a magical cure for the fatties just don't work.....why haven't we learned this by now?

I want to be healthy, I want to love my body, I want to be strong, and I want to be a good example for my future kids.  {My mom never eats isn't a good image}

So, I plan on adding a lot more cardio to my daily routine...oh and Yoga!

I almost forgot!

Since I ate a lot last night at a mostly lateish hour, I decided Jillian would make me sick  (remember my first attempt?)  So I did nighttime yoga instead.

I have a great lil' video that's only 20 minutes long, but BOY did it make me feel amazing!

I am not too flexible yet, so I'm not perfect at it, but it was still amazing!  Yoga needs to happen more often.

So now onto the weigh in.
I weighed myself this morning......  remember I started at 136 pounds.
This morning I weighed...........136 pounds.  STUPID.
 Jon tells me that I should go by how I feel and how I look rather than the number on the scale.  Apparently there are a lot of factors.

But he's right.

I feel better.  I feel more healthy and more strong.  My back is also seeing improvement and I feel taller.  I also feel tighter.  My abs, arms and quads do for sure.  oh, and the inner thigh.  And that's what matters, right?  (I mostly believe that)


this plan isn't really about reaching a certain number on the scale, its more about liking my body, whatever weight that is.  (since muscle weighs more than fat, you know.)  I will take my measurements tonight and report them in the morning.


And let me just give a shout out to Jon.  Thanks for listening to me complain, and telling me {gently} that I'm acting like a crazy person.  It totally helps.  :)  

I will be smarter now.



2 comments:

  1. Im having the same trouble losing weight too! But I have figured out that it also takes time... and LOTS of it. I had 2 kid in 22 months and im still working my but of EVERYDAY and hope that I lose a pound this week. I think you look awesome and shouldn't worry about what the scale says bc he is your worst enemy! Its all about how you feel!!! Hope you have a wonderful wedding, and I strongly believe you will fit into your dress!
    Love
    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randi! that is so sweet of you! It does take a lot of time....and that is the hard part. Staying motivated when you want to see results quickly! I ordered a dress that will fit, i just wanted to be a little bit smaller in the hip region :) It will be wonderful either way. I'm just going to do all that I can, and that will have to be good enough! :)

    ReplyDelete