Friday, June 3, 2011

A Love - Hate Relationhip

I admit it,

I'm a sucker for mystery, history, intrigue . -- Always have been.

Growing up, my dad read Nancy Drew Novels to me every night without fail.

I also have an affinity for Thriller movies, James Patterson and Mary Higgins Clark Novels- although most of the time they scare my out of my bloody wits!

But, when I heard stories of the Intermountain Indian School, I knew I had to see it for myself.

Some background: The Intermountain Indian school was actually first, A hospital and recovery facility for wounded WWII soldiers- up until the end of the war.  It is a set of large, 2 story buildings, most of which are intercoonnected by their hallways.  During the war, there were a set of underground tunnels that interconnected all of the buildings.in case of a need for evacuation. 

{this is what it looked like then}

After the hospital closed, the federal government gave the place a total remodel (something like $3million) and  funded a boarding school for Navajo kids elementary through high school.

Everything I've read about that time says that the students were happy and that it was a good school, so no creepiness lurks about from that time...I think.

Anyway, fast forward to today.  The place has been empty since 198- something, and is now completely boarded up.  Over the years, teenagers and gang members have entered the place on a dare.  The school is full of graffiti and vandalism, and is in really run down shape. There are rumors of ghostly activity and satan worship throughout the building.  For me though, it's just interesting to explore what was. 

The first time we went up, we drove around the large property and were able to find ONE window that wasn't boarded up. (at least on the ground floor) we climbed through armed with all our camera gear, excited to explore.  

First of all, we had to be pretty careful about this.  on wandering the street beforehand, we ran into some kids.  we asked them if they'd been in the building, and they told us there was an old woman near by who always called police if she saw any activity.  

Anyway, we should have thought to bring a flashlight, since all the windows are boarded up, it is pitch black inside.  Luckily, some of the second story windows are open, and the center building had a fire on the top level, leaving it without a roof- so we got some light.

I have to tell you, that first trip was the scariest thing ever.  I've always been kind of scared of the dark, but this was something else. 

As soon as I climbed in the window, "Old" filled my nose. Dark, dusty, musty. lonely.  Wandering the halls of the school in the dark was such a different experience.  Walls were stripped of thier sheetrock, gaping holes left in others where the wiring had been pulled out, and the crunch of glass beneath my feet.

I had to wonder why this was?  Sure, the building was abandoned, but why was it torn apart?
It seems that not all of it was from vandals-- but that's a definite possibility .  The only furnishings left were toilets sinks and a stove.  Most of the walls were boring off white, with the occasional mint green or yellow or puce walls.  The silence was deafening.  Although close to the road and to housing, the school felt like a black hole.  

As we made our way to the top floor, boards creaked, floors sagged, and the smell of burning became more apparent.  We made it to the floor with no roof, and were surprised to find grass growing from the rubble on the floor!  We were two stories up! 

Let me interject here that I do not reccommend doing this.  In fact, it's pretty stupid.  who knows what the structural integrity of this place is?  And surely, that top floor was exposed both to fire and the weather for I don't know how many years......yeah.....we aren't very smart sometimes.

Anyway, on the way out, we walked past a room- just a regular room as far as i can tell.  It had no door, but was black inside. As I walked by it, I got the worst sick feeling.  I knew that I should NOT go in that room.  In fact, we hurried right past it.

Now, I could have just been spooked by the entire experience, or it could have been something legit.  I don't think I'll ever know, but what I do know is; I'm not going to meddle.  {well, anymore than i already have}

I took a lot of photos that day.  Some with film, some with digital.  Unfortunately, I have lost all my digital photos but two  {long story}  I have yet to develop the film, when i do, I'll post those photos.  As for the two I have left, here they are:



I wish I still had some of the creepier photos.  Dang it.

Anyway, while looking for things to do over Memorial Day weekend, we decided to revisit.  I was incredibly hesitant because it was so scary last time.  But, once again, I couldn't resist a good intrigue.  So we packed ourselves some lunches and set out for good ol' Peach City.

This time, our window was boarded up, but we were able to find another on a different piece of the property.  Conveniently, there was a sink propped up outside the open window, which we were able to use as a step- although me and my short self had to get a GIANT boost from Nick anyway....

we entered what used to be a bathroom, with lots of sunlight pouring into the open window


And proceeded to wander





We didn't stay too long.  Maybe 15 minutes.  This part of the building wasn't as dark as the last one, but for some reason, I was more scared.  Maybe I've become less of a hoodlum, or maybe there was something to be afraid of.

My imagination takes me to some pretty crazy places- having read all those books and watched all those movies.  Seeing chalkboards and shelving makes me picture what life was like in this building when it was used- like a flashback from the movies.  It's all too eerie.  Stupid kids have spray painted the walls with things such as "turn back now, you're gonna die!"  It's silly.  

There have been dozens of claims that the place is haunted, that doors open, footsteps are heard and that glass breaks.  while walking through, I half expected these things to happen, although they never did.  

Part of me thinks that it's just an old building fallen victim to vandals and rumors, but another part of me wonders if it is haunted.  I do believe that supernatural things happen- especially when you bring them about.  Remember what I said about not meddling?  Either way, it's a creepy place with a creepy history, and a pretty stupid thing to do.

Like I said, my imagination is wild, and to me, this place feels like it's lonely, like it has a story to tell, and that it's angry about it. 

To describe this place in one word, I'd definitely choose "angry".








And now for something happy!






No comments:

Post a Comment